The end of year is the time for lists, no? Well, here’s my list of my best 10 reads for 2012. I only give a rating for fiction books generally, although one or two non-fictions crept in here because they were read as an escape from the thesis.
There was only one book to which I awarded a ’10’
1. ‘Good Evening Mrs Craven’ by Mollie Panter-Downes
The other nine received a score of ‘9’. Three of these were from my CAE bookgroup- none chosen by me- which is a good reason for continuing to participate, quite apart from the friendships there.
2. ‘Drinking Coffee Elsewhere’ by Z. Z. Packer (Yes- a collection of short stories made it onto the ‘best’ list! CAE)
3. ‘Otherland’ by Maria Tumarkin
4. ‘Mateship with Birds’ by Carrie Tiffany
5. ‘Bright and Distant Shores’ by Dominic Smith
6. ‘London War Notes 1939-1945’ by Mollie Panter-Downes (non-fiction)
7. ‘How To Live’ (A life of Montaigne)’ by Sarah Bakewell (non-fiction)
8. ‘All That I Am’ by Anna Funder
9. ‘When Will There Be Good News’ by Kate Atkinson (CAE)
10. ‘Water Under the Bridge’ by Sumner Locke Eliot. (CAE)